Friday 24 June 2011

A brief recap of Thursday:

My JazzFest day began by dropping in on the Alex Pangman workshop. She sang several pieces that she had performed in her Wednesday evening concert, which was wonderful. Whenever I leave a great concert, I am overcome with wanting more (which is why I tend to leave with a CD!), and getting to hear these pieces again, live, was just an unexpected treat. My personal favourite was a Betsy Smith tune that she sang at both performances, a blues piece interpreted with a swing and with tango sections.

Between songs Alex chatted a bit, musing on the “melting pot” of jazz, the music of the ’30s, how the new technology of microphones changed the music, and what it’s like to sing these songs in the 21st century. If you were at the evening concert, you saw how immersed in both the music and the character of the songs Alex was, and so it was interesting to hear her talk about her process in choosing what to sing.

The Medalta show last night was HOT. In every way. Due to weather the organizers moved it inside and kept the doors open to the courtyard, where some people opted to sit and mill. I know there were concerns about sound, for a band like this in an enclosed space is not ideal. But I’m certain that no one gave it a thought. The music was fabulous! And for ambience—there was no sacrifice. Medalta has created a one-of-a-kind space, and it really worked for this band, in my opinion. The dance floor was full the whole night.




The Dave Renter duo playing at Tumbleweeds



"I-vanna have a glass of red wine please"



The Alberta Latin Jazz All-Stars performing at Medalta potteries - l. to r. Chris Andrew, Aldo Aguirre, Jorge Nunez, Raul Tabere, Rubim de Toledo, and Luis Tovar



"Cutting the rug" to the beat of The Alberta Latin Jazz All-Stars



Conga line at the Thursday night dance party



"I-vanna play the drums!"



"I-vanna hang out with the band"



Late night show at The Studio Club - Dave Restivo on piano, Chris Jennings on bass, Jacek Kochan on drums



Alex Pangman and her band relaxing after an amazing performance

No comments:

Post a Comment